Santa Barbara SC is pleased to introduce our recreation leagues:
Individual Players – Bring Your Friends – Form Your Own Teams- FUN!
Our recreation leagues are the perfect environment for players of all ages and ability levels to develop soccer skills. Our leagues offer players a fun, enjoyable, and safe environment for children to grow and love the game.
WANT TO BRING A TEAM? Please see “Coaches Corner” section at bottom of page.
The recreation league is open to all boys and girls, Pre-K to 6th grade (2019-2011). It provides players with a game environment that increases touches on the ball, improves creativity, and enhances goal scoring opportunities; in a fun, safe, and enjoyable environment. The program is designed for recreation soccer players of all ages and abilities. Team formation and self-organized practices can begin the week of January 7th. Teams are coached by parent volunteers.
Ages: Pre-K to 6th grade Boys and Girls (2019-2011)
Level: Beginner to Intermediate, recreational (pre-club) players
Location: Girsh Park Turf (7050 Phelps Road, Goleta, CA 93117)
Map: Click here for league map
- Fridays, January 12- March 22, 2024 for Pre/K, Grade 1/2, & Grade 3/4 Divisions
- Saturdays, January 13- March 23, 2024 for Grade 5/6 Division
- Rain/Weather Make-up Date: March 30, 2024.
- League will include 10 games (1 per week) plus practice scrimmage on January 12.
- Games will last approximately 50 minutes.
- Registration is OPEN until January 2nd.
- Volunteers needed for ‘Team Coach/Manager’
Winter Game Times:
- Game time windows written as start time- completion time below.
- Pre-K/K Division= Fridays, 3:45-5:45PM
- Grade 1/2 Division= Fridays, 4:45-7:45PM
- Grade 3/4 Division= Fridays, 6:45-8:45PM
Grade 5/6 Division= Saturdays, 4:00-8:00PM
- $250 per player for the season
- Includes cost of uniform (jersey, shorts & socks)
- Sibling Discount:
- $10 off each additional sibling is automatically applied at check out
- Team Discount:
- Bring a full team and each player is eligible to receive $25 off. See “Coaches Corner” section below for requirements.
- Must email team roster to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registering and she will supply your team-specific coupon code. Team benefits cannot be applied retroactively.
- Pre-K: 4v4 (max roster of 7)
- Grade 1-2: 4v4 (max roster of 7)
- Grade 3-4: 5v5 (max roster of 9)
- Grade 5-6: 7v7 (max roster of 12)
- Game formats are tentative – we reserve the right to alter the format depending on the number of registrants, teams and what is best for the development of the playe
- Practices are NOT required and are not coordinated or organized by Santa Barbara Soccer Club.
- Teams may opt in or out of conducting practices. This is organized at a team parent level.
- We do not provide practice field space! We suggest utilizing local, public parks.
- Winter Break ONLY- Practice Space Available at Girsh Park Turf
- MUST SIGN UP HERE to reserve field space for your group.
- Teaches players to develop an appetite for self-improvement while teaching individual character traits and values.
- The characteristics integrated into our gaming circuit and practice session are broken down into four main areas for analysis:
- Cognitive Development
- Our administrative staff will organize team schedules.
- League games are managed with referees
Typical League game:
- To offer motivated players the opportunity to learn and develop both soccer and life skills in partnership with the highest quality professional coaches.
- To provide an opportunity for players to develop the necessary technique that is essential to the long-term growth and development of their game.
- To organize and teach players to better understand the importance of a practice while creating comfort with the ball.
- To provide players with a small-sided game environment that accentuates development and overall game understanding.
- All players must register and pay online (in full) prior to the start of the league.
- Rates do not include a 3% Credit Card processing fee for online payments.
- No prorated fees available for late registrants.
Refund Policy or Cancellations:
- If you must cancel, please do so as early as possible.
- All payments are non-refundable unless Santa Barbara SC cancels the league. A credit may be issued for cancellations.
WARNING: Players registering with a team need their team code prior to registering. Benefits cannot be applied retroactively.
NOTE: If you wish to add more practice opportunities to your schedule, please check out our Clinics tab at the top of the page or click here.
What do I bring with me?
- Proper soccer indoor shoes, sneakers, cleats
- Shin guards
- Water bottle
- Note: Do not bring a ball
How do I check in & out?
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the game
- Check in with your team manager
What should I wear to practice and games?
- Always wear Santa Barbara SC issued game gear. (Note: Late registrants are not guaranteed a uniform.)
- Please select appropriate gear size when registering online.
- Your parent/manager will distribute gear prior to the first game.
What is the refund and cancellation policy?
- All payments are non-refundable unless Santa Barbara SC cancels the league.
- In special circumstances (injury or illness), the club may approve a refund.
Can I request to be on the same team as my friend?
- We will do our best to accommodate “friend & buddy” requests.
- This is not a guarantee and we can’t always honor the request.
Can club level players sign up?
- A maximum of two (2) Santa Barbara SC (or equivalent level teams) club level players per team is allowed in Pre/K and Grade 1/2 Divisions.
- A maximum of three (3) Santa Barbara SC (or equivalent level teams) club level players per team is allowed in Grade 3/4 Division.
- A maximum of four (4) Santa Barbara SC (or equivalent level teams) club level players per team is allowed in Grades 5/6 Divisions.
- The maximum number of club players per team can only exceed the above amount if the players are approved by the Director to play up an age group (higher level division).
- If a club player plays “up” a division, then they do not apply to the limitation numbers stated above.
- The club player rule only applies to 2015 (2nd grade) and older players in the club environment.
- This limit is to ensure balanced competition and fair play.
PreK- Kindergarten Girls & Boys (4v4 no goalkeepers – maximum rosters approximately 7 players)
Grades 1-3 Girls & Boys (4v4 no goalkeepers – maximum rosters approximately 7 players)
Note: Please note the game formats are tentative. We reserve the right to alter the format depending on the number of registrants, teams and what is best for the development of the players.
Do you offer financial aid?
Santa Barbara SC has the capacity to provide some scholarship assistance for players’ families with financial need. Click here to email your request to league director for scholarship information.
League Rules & Policies
Each team’s roster may carry a maximum of two (2) Santa Barbara SC club level players (or equivalent) in the Pre/K and Grade 1/2 Divisions, a maximum of three (3) Santa Barbara SC club level players (or equivalent) in the Grade 3/4 Division, and a maximum of four (4) club level players per team in Grades 5-6 Division. The maximum number of club players per team can only exceed the above amount if the players are approved by the Director to play up an age group (higher level division). If a club player plays “up” a division, then they do not apply to the limitation numbers stated above. The club player rule only applies to 2015 (2nd grade) and older players in the club environment. This limit is to ensure balanced competition and fair play.
Format. Each team will play approximately 50 minute games per week (Friday nights), unless the number of teams in the division dictates an alternate format.
Game day. Any team can play down one player (example. 4v4 game you could play 4v3) and still NOT forfeit the game. You CANNOT play down two players. In the event you do have to forfeit, the game will register as the opponent receiving the maximum of 3 points. If one team must forfeit, we will attempt to still play the game using a combination of players from both teams. Please arrive to each and every game regardless of how many players you have.
Forfeit. Your team will forfeit the game if you do not have the correct amount of players at kick-off. NO EXCEPTIONS. The league will start all of the games at the same time, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Minimum Time. Each player on every team must play a minimum of half of each and every game, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS.
- “How do I register a team for the league?” Answer: Once your confirmed roster meets the below requirements, email the names to email@example.com and she will reply back with a coupon code for your group to use when completing registration.
- “How many players do I need on my roster to qualify as a team and receive a code?” Answer: Pre/K= 6, Grades 1/2= 6, Grades 3/4= 7, Grades 5/6= 10. If you do not bring the max roster size, we reserve the right to add “loose players” to your roster.
- “I don’t want the max roster size. Can I keep a smaller roster size?” Answer: We reserve the right to fill rosters to max capacity as needed so that all registered players have an opportunity to play. Roster sizes were adjusted this season so that all players receive ample playing time even with a maxed out roster.
- “Can I have more players than the max roster size listed for my division?” Answer: We discourage roster sizes greater than the listed max size for each division so that every athlete can have fair playing time. In certain circumstances this request may be approved (ex: you have players who will be missing many games, etc.) however we cannot guarantee your extra players will receive a team uniform. Please email the League Director for approval prior to registering.
- “Can you send me insurance so I can hold practices with my team?” Answer: No, this is a games only league and SBSC is not associated with activities that occur outside of game day.
- “Can I coach two teams in different divisions or will game times conflict?” Answer: We are not able to confirm game times until registration closes. The time frames above in the “Dates, Times, Rates, & Format” section is all we can provide at this time.
- “If I have completed a live scan for this league before do I need to do it again?” Answer: No, you only need to complete the live scan once and it is valid for life.
- “When can I pick up the team uniforms?” Answer: We will hold a coaches meeting the week of season kick-off. Meeting details will be emailed at least 2 weeks prior to the first game day. We will go over everything you need to know prior to the season, answer your questions, and distribute uniforms at this time. If you cannot attend the meeting time, you will need to send a team representative in your place.
- “Can you send me my team’s uniform sizes?” Answer: Uniforms are ordered by division, not individual. Teams typically have very similar sizing breakdowns, therefore as coach it is your responsibility to hand out uniforms using your best judgment for your players and their needs. We cannot exchange sizes.
Volunteer Coaches & Managers. Only Coaches are allowed on the field. Managers are not allowed on the playing field at any time unless to attend to an injured player. All Volunteer Coaches & Managers must complete a Live Scan process or provide a completed receipt within the calendar year prior to the first game.
Let them play. We encourage a “let the players play” mentality as much as possible. The coach’s primary role should be as a facilitator, allowing players to learn through active play.
Game Day. All games will be scheduled on Fridays between 3:30-8:30pm and Saturdays between 4:00-8:00pm, and referees will report scores to the league official at the field by turning in the game card, signed by both coaches, immediately after the game. Only referees are to approach and convene at the scoring table to complete the score card. After having agreed with the coaches on the score and obtaining both coach’s signatures, coaches are to proceed to their next game.
Referees. The League Director will defer to the Referee for the final score of any game. Any and all questions and/or concerns regarding any game are to be made via email to the League Director the following day.
Behavior. Coaches are to report inappropriate parent behavior to the League Director to be addressed immediately on site.
Standings. Schedules and standings will be posted on the Santa Barbara SC website.
Points System. A simple point system will be used, 3-points for a win, 1-point will be awarded to both teams for a tie and 0 points for a loss. The league will not post any score over a difference of 3 goals.
- *Note: In the event of a tie at the end of regulation time, there will be a 5-minute break followed by overtime play until a “Golden Goal” is scored to decide the winner.